Thursday, September 29, 2011

Week Two: Writing Topic

Hello Everyone,

I'm super confused about my topic!!  Lets start from the beginning. I've decided to write about my favorite song, " The Suburbs" by Arcade Fire. I chose this especially due to its relation to stories that early rockers spoke out about to teenagers.I feel they both comment on the conformity of their current society. Here's the video that served as my inspiration!






   I wrote this piece because I love Arcade Fire. I love them because I think the work hard to deviate from the shallow music that dominates the current music theme. Lots of songs I here talk about beauty, sex, drinking, money, and other superficial  aspects. I don't mean to bash love, but too many songs are croons about lost love, unrequited love, forgotten love, etc. I am a hopeless romantic, but sometimes it's just too much. Arcade Fire songs are usually talking about the struggles of living. Their debut album Funeral quite obviously focuses on death. But it wasn't about dying. It looks at the gradual shift in life. Death only sets the tone to talk about aging, unfinished dreams, betrayal and so much more. For me, Funeral is a performance novel or poetry since it is as complex as an form of literature I have ever read.
   My problem with the current music scene is that there aren't many powerful artists. The top song on iTunes today is " I'm Sexy and I Know It" by LMFAO. Here's the video in case you're interested in why it's ridiculous that this  is our top music.

   I choose Chuck Berry because he seemed the least commercial. He was also treated as the poet laureate  of the 50's. And other artists like Elvis, did not make their fame on thought provoking lyrics. Barry seems like a step up since Paul Friedlander praises him as "a complete musician , who was not not only a vocal stylist like Elvis, but also a composer, instrumentalist, and bandleader." However, I know very little about 50's era music, so he still sounds a bit shallow. So this writing was a bit streched!
Wish me luck on my final portfolio!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment