Tuesday, October 25, 2011

So, I guess I have problems Week Four

"Accounting for Taste" by Eric Gardner and " Some Exploratory Findings on the Development of Musical Tastes" by Morris B. Holbrook and Robert M.Schindler


In this article, Gardner breaks down people's music preference as a result of personality. He defines a few groups as "taste hunters", "thrill seekers" , "self-medicators" and "decorators".  He does also says that genetics and social instiutions may play a determining factor for our musical tastes, but overall this article serves to  prove that " we consume  books, movies, music, and visual art primarily to fulfill the internal emotional needs that are fundamental".
 
    Although this may be true, I feel his argument does not accurately convey this statement. My biggest concern is his  incomplete categorizing  of personalities. His major categories are for people who are "high in openness, the characteristic of creative, curious, and imaginative people" (taste hunters), "extroverts-lively active, social people"( thrill seekers), and "people high in neuroticism-less emotionally stable people people who are anxious, sensitive, and easily upset" ( self medicators). He does however manage to quickly define introverts as "reserved, thoughtful, self-reliant types". This paints a picture of the world being divided up by extroverts and introverts with a few depressed people or a few super open people added to the mix.


     Prior to this reading, I would have classified myself as an extroverted introvert. Per  descriptions, I identify with an extrovert’s “ the need to connect to others” and  an introvert’s “ reserved, thoughtful, self-reliant” personality type. However, this article’s example of a self-medicator also has many traits I possess. I love inspirational/moving posters which Gardner says “helps neurotic people manage their tendency to worry, and become blue”.  Therefore, as a single person, I embody many contradictory personality traits. Therefore it seems ridiculous that this simplifying of the human experience can possibly explain our music preference. Rather, I feel is it stereotyping people into music genres.
This whole article comes off as very critical of people’s music tastes. According to Gardner “neurotic people are more likely to enjoy rap and heavy metal”. With rap a mainstream mainstay, I highly doubt that the entire popular culture is filled with people with such profound psychological suffering. In the same way, Gardner sensationalizes his “taste hunters” and “thrill seekers”. His examples are a New York City fashion executive and a leader singer of a rock band. And his self-medicator who likes soulful music came a troubled childhood. So which type a person should we be like? What types of things should we like the, Gardner?
I don’t think it is fair to categorize the way people experience music in this way. I’m offended that he says a type of music my only reach out to a specific type of person. I think any music, painting, poem, novel or any other creative body can touch all types of people, and fulfill however they experience music. 
Smh! 
My emotion control for the week! "I'm  a Lady" by Santogold

No comments:

Post a Comment